The Cycle of saijan/sijan and aloo curry


Same story,  lady has $100 bundles of sijan in the fish section of the Mon Repos market and I walk away and then I turn back and buy two bundles. It was the same time I did almost a year a go when I first cooked and  wrote about finding resilience in cooking and eating this for the first time .

There is something about the cycle of things in writing, not so much as lunacy in doing the same thing over and over, but also in sometimes going back to do things which make you feel good.


I had forgotten of course that I had written about cooking the sijan curry. I had to laugh that the reason I am writing this blog is almost the same as writing the last time - the need to be creative with cooking something which I do not cook often and then seeing the finished product and thinking I could write about it because saijan is supposed to be healthy.

I had actually cooked saijan leaf bhaji long before I had cooked the saijan, but haven't made it recently as I am not in contact with the source of the bhajee. I know a woman who is using the leaves in all her food and drinks and says she is feeling good and the Moringa tea is selling in the supermarkets.. imported from Jamaica of course.


Saijan leaf bhajee

I had ginger this time which I put inside the curry and some more tomato. Bird pepper instead of wiri wiri pepper.  Throw in the curry powder paste after chunkaying the geera, onions and aloo.

Next time I might try eddo, and have some coconut milk.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turpentine mango madness

Re-writing Irfaan Ali's disgraceful statement after accepting his comrade's resignation

My experience with depression - Dr Raquel Thomas-Caesar